Historyby January 1, 2014
The original building was completed in June 1957 at the present site in Serangoon Garden Way (the foundation stone was laid on 22 December 1956). It was completely rebuilt in 2001. During the 16-month rebuilding period the church services were held at the nearby Serangoon Gardens Country Club auditorium.
A page of history – View orginal article at The Diocesan Digest October 1975
Long before the laying of the foundation stone on 22 December 1956 and the consecrating of the Church building in 1957 there was a nucleus of Christians meeting and worshipping on one another’s houses in Serangoon Gardens. There was much discussion as to whether a church or a hall should be built first. it was decided to build the church first, and the hall later. The worship of God was to have first priority.
Innumerable people, clerical and lay men and women, have faithfully served God as members of St. Peter’s Parish, Amongst them we can mention Canon Gnanasihamani, the Reverends Walden Pell, Luke Ooi, Michael Counsell, John Timmins, Kenneth Franklin, Deaconess Collier, Miss Rodgers, Miss Felicity Foster-Carter and many others. But the strength of St. Peter’s has always lain in its members who quietly and humbly respond to God’s call day by day.
Like many of the Anglican Parish Churches in Singapore, St. Peter’s is a product of the vision and outward-looking policy of St. Andrew’s Cathedral. Although St. Peter’s has been an independant parish since 1966, we are glad to acknowledge the Cathedral as our Mother-Church and to express our gratitude to her.
In 1969 a two-storey church hall was opened. It is used for our Sunday School, Social and business meetings, and it houses the parish office. On weekdays the ground floor is made available for an educationally sub-normal school (E. S. N.) .
Following the opening of the hall, the former parish office (attached to the church) was converted into a small chapel. We hold weekday services here, and it is open 24 hours a day for private prayer. The Blessed Sacrament is reserved in an aumbry.
The future contains great challenges and opportunities for St. Peter’s. The Church buildings are situated on the boundary between Serangoon Garden Estate (a private housing estate) and the Ang Mo Kio Estate of Government High-Rise blocks of flats.
For the last two months a small group of our members have been attending house-meetings in order to be trained for lay-visiting.
The influx of population may mean we have additional services at St. Peter’s. Each Sunday we have Parish communion (Series 2) at 8.00 a.m. followed by breakfast in the hall. At 9.30 a.m. we have Sunday School, Bible Class and Confirmation Class. Evensong is at 5.30 p.m. If (as we hope) more people start coming than the church can accommodate, then we will have an additional morning service, possibly in Chinese.
Our Youth Fellowship is small but contains a number of keen members. Except when our young people are struck by. bacillus examinatus our Y.F. is quite active. It meets on Sunday afternoons for Bible Study, talks by visiting speakers, discussions, debates and games.
Financially the parish is stable. We replaced the church roof last year, substituting metal KLIPLOK for the leaking asbestos boards. This year the church and hall have been repainted. Our members are contributing to a Bell and Roof Fund, to complete the payment for the roof, and to buy a new bell to replace the one which broke and fell last year.
RENEWAL: An encouraging number of our members have attended services and meetings conducted by Rev. Trevor Dearing at St. Paul’s, the Cathedral and St. Luke’s. Many of them have been wonderfully blessed by God.
We are beginning services of praise, sharing and ministry on Wednesday evenings at 8 p.m. and pray that God will richly bless us not just as individuals but as a congregation. We pray that through us God will bless those who live in our area, and will bring them to a saving knowledge of Christ, and into membership of his Body, the Church.